2.20.2013

Thailand- Chang Mai (Tigers and Elephants)

(In December, our family took the most wonderful trip to Thailand.  On the first leg of the trip, we stayed in Bangkok.  You can read about that here.  After  Bangkok, we headed to Chang Mai.  Here's a look at the fun we had in Chang Mai.)

Chang Mai has a much different feel from Bangkok.  Bangkok is a metropolis... humming with businesses, crowds, and all the things you'd find in a large city.  So we were surprised when we rolled in to Chang Mai.  It was MUCH slower than we expected!  We enjoyed great food and shopping in Bangkok-- the luxuries we had been missing.  We experienced some of those same things in Chang Mai, but it quickly proved to be all the EXPERIENCES!

We rented scooters for traveling.  After a little research we ventured out to explore.   What we found was a road that contained enough entertainment to keep us busy for quite a while!  There were tiger camps, elephant camps, insect zoos, extreme sports park, and plenty more.  We couldn't do it all, but what we did do was such an experience.

We started off at Tiger Kingdom.  There were tigers for viewing, but the best part was you could actually get in the pen with them!  There were four different sizes you could choose from, but because of Max's size, we were only allowed with the babies.  Truth be known, I'd of picked the babies anyways!  I saw the big ones--- I had no desire to be enclosed WITH them!  Before entering, we washed our hands, changed shoes, and had a quick safety briefing.

 photo IMG_3147-3_zps0cfea75d.jpg

Max tolerated the event, but I don't see him pursuing "tiger training."

 photo IMG_3150-3_zpse8db99d9.jpg

Jason, however, was the "Tiger Whisperer!"  This guy crawled all over him!

 photo IMG_3158-3_zpsc3ccf95c.jpg

 photo IMG_3167-3_zps4f673370.jpg

We tried to catch a quick picture with all of us, but Jason and I were the only ones ready for the shot.

 photo IMG_3172-2_zps16355ec2.jpg

This guy LOVES an animal.  Big or small- doesn't matter!  He can't get enough!

 photo IMG_3176-2_zpsb56896ac.jpg

You know one day these things will do some damage.  I'm glad I got to see them when they were small.  (By the way, this is not my hand.  This is the trainer.  I'm not brave enough to expose the teeth of any tiger... even a baby!)

 photo IMG_3180-2_zps280a523d.jpg

Jack examined him from head to toe.

 photo IMG_3182-2_zps460b9d24.jpg

 photo IMG_3196-2_zps6e11ada9.jpg

AND--- they grow up!

 photo IMG_3201-2_zps756a6c00.jpg

I caught this guy just as he was about to yawn.

 photo IMG_3198-2_zps41affd6c.jpg

The end of that yawn looks awfully ferocious, don't you think?  Did I mention I don't have any desire to get the cage with him?

 photo IMG_3199-2_zps186d4f91.jpg

And even cats play with sticks!

 photo IMG_3200-2_zps61354faf.jpg

I LOVED the tigers.  They are such mysterious, beautiful animals, but they are not my favorite.  My heart still lies with the ear-flapping, trunk-swinging giants.  And the elephants of Thailand did things I'd never seen done before!

They have an entire camp of just elephants- the Maesa Elephant Camp.  There were so many elephants.  I couldn't get enough.  They offer rides through the camp, but you might remember we already did that in India just prior to this trip.  But they were still full of new surprises.

 photo IMG_3209-2_zpse17b0a56.jpg

We watched a show after we arrived.  The elephants did a variety of things from play soccer, to throw darts, to.... are you ready for this?  PAINT!  They painted with paintbrushes and multiple colors.  I was impressed.

 photo IMG_3235-2_zpscc0897d2.jpg

 photo IMG_3236-2_zps4570939a.jpg

 photo IMG_3239-2_zpse8ae2554.jpg

 photo IMG_3245-2_zps67a1274b.jpg

The paintings were for sale after the show, but they like them... A LOT!  We went home without one.

We found the nursery, where a momma and her baby were staying.

 photo IMG_3247-2_zpsfb62890d.jpg

 It is safe to say that babies of all kinds will try to get out of enclosures over time!

 photo IMG_3250-2_zps66faebcf.jpg

She tried hard, but alas, she was unsuccessful!

 photo IMG_3251-2_zps99cfceb3.jpg


That baby pulled at my heart strings, but a bigger animal found the way to my heart!  As we were walking, we stopped to feed a few bigger elephants.  The trainers had the elephants hug us...

 photo IMG_3213-2_zps05c09dac.jpg

they put hats on us...

 photo IMG_3224-2_zps76ac096a.jpg

And then it happened...  I. WAS. KISSED. BY. AN. ELEPHANT.  Not once, but TWICE!  Eat your heart out!

 photo IMG_3228-2_zps4f775978.jpg

I've gotta be honest.  I'd compare it to putting the end of the strongest vacuum cleaner you can find on your cheek and having it suck the life out of your face.  But hey... no pain, no gain!  I'd do it all over again!

We spent a few more days in Thailand before heading back to India, but I've yet to tell you about my favorite adventure yet.  Check back in a few days for the Thailand conclusion!





No comments:

Post a Comment