8.17.2012

five on friday

1.  The Olympics are over, but we were thankful to watch many of the events.  Our times were a little off, so we spent a few nights watching crazy things like gun-shooting and archery.  BUT- hands-down, my favorite of the year had to be "Race Walking."  Have you seen this?  I'd describe is as really weird, fast walking, that could possibly be considered running if you weren't trained in the art of "Race Walking."

When I was looking for videos to post of this event, I came across this video from a youth race walking event.  It's pretty dramatic.  Anyways, in your spare time, please google men's race walking.  This 'technique' takes on an entirely different spin when men are participating!


(I have to be honest and say that I tried my hand at race walking.  Jason wouldn't participate in the fun, but my friend, Beth, was happy to join in the competition.  She narrowly beat me in the first race.  And then Jason challenged us to one lap around our neighborhood.  I won.  I'd like to think it was my mad skills, but it was most likely due to her laughing hysterically at my ridiculous technique.  You've gotta try it.  Hopefully you are in better shape than I am!)

2.  Jack Marlin is the proud new owner of a bike.  He wasn't asking for one, but we convinced him he'd love it!  He's ridden all afternoon in the rain, and he already has his first injury... a blister on his HAND!  Go figure!  I think we need to work on loosening his grip just a little! (pictures to come)

3.  Living in India means I miss a lot of American culture and happenings.  Thanks to Facebook and the internet, I can keep up a little.  Shamefully, I couldn't resist seeing who "Honey Boo Boo" was.  I'll spare you any links to her YouTube videos, but all I'll say is "Wow."  Sometimes entertainment hits ROCK BOTTOM!

4.  There's a common misconception that living in a foreign country means you have access to great products for really cheap prices.  I'd say India has some things that are reasonably priced, but maybe not what some people have in mind.  However, I did find a HUGE steal at the market the other day.  For $1.00, India sells Adidas Odidas flip-flops.  What a bargain!

Photobucket

5.  Guess who's coming to India in about 10 days?  MY MOM!  I have two little boys that are going to be VERY excited and spoiled!  Wonder if she'll bring them any surprises from America?  Surely not! :)  If she plays her cards right, I'll send her home with some name-brand "Odidas" flip-flops!

No comments:

Post a Comment